Spinal ” Neck” Stretches / Sweet Release Neck Stretches
Perform the “Sweet Release ” neck stretches in an extended head and neck position. These exercises may also be performed seated in a chair.
Position 1 Instructions:
- Sit on your knees.
- Turn your head gently to the right until you feel a stretch.
- Now turn your head to the left.
Position 2 Instructions:
- Laterally flex your head to the right until a stretch is felt.
- Repeat the complete cycle with the addition of very gentle assistance from your hands.
Position 3 Instructions:
- Let your head fall forward and gently press your fingers into the area where your head and neck join.
- Work down your traps and back up toward your head. (Take some time here)
- The upper neck is the area of the spine with the highest concentration of mechanoreceptors.
Position 4 Instructions:
- Let your neck fall gently backward, while pressing very performed while pressing with your fingers.
- Do not apply excessive force in extension, especially if you have degeneration disease in your cervical spine.
- Breathe slowly and deeply from your diaphragm.